f. e. FARRER
FUNERAL DIRECTORS AND MONUMENTAL MASONS
The Farrer family has been in the funeral profession since 1860. Initially this was in the east end of London (North Woolwich, East Ham and Silvertown) and these offices were run firstly by our Great Great Grandfather Samuel J Farrer, then by our Great Grandfather Albert E Farrer.
Frank E Farrer, our grandfather, looked after the business during the war years and brought it to Billericay, together with his son Alan E Farrer, just after the Second World War. Firstly working with S J Leeds who were carpenters and coffin makers (and lineal descendants of J W Waylett, in Chapel Street) and then purchasing 33 High Street, Billericay in 1953. Grandfather ran the business together with our grandmother, Alice, and our father until 1980 when he retired due to ill health aged 77!. Dad has looked after the business ever since, together with our mum Betty, and in recent years with ourselves, firstly John, then Roy and more recently with our sister Janet.
In 2006 we opened a new funeral home in Shenfield after many years of conducting funeral services in the area from our Billericay premises.
A E & J E Farrer Monumental Masons is the memorial division of the business and has provided new memorials, additional inscriptions and renovation work throughout the area for over fifty years and in London since first established in 1860. We can advise on rules and regulations required by specific cemeteries or churchyards and part of our service has always been to obtain the necessary permission on the family's behalf.
"We like to think of ourselves as a part of the local community, giving people professional help not only at a time of need, but also friendly confidential advice when they have other concerns".
John and Roy Farrer
Return to Home Page